Do the holidays bring sadness, loneliness, fear or depression for you or your partner?
At times our expectations may lead us toward negative emotions when our hopes aren't realized.
We all have memories of holidays in the past and at times we assume that each reoccurring holiday will feel like the joyful one we experienced previously.
That doesn't always occur. Each holiday brings a variety of feelings for us. Recognizing that each day is new and different may help one be aware of differences in holiday time.
What should one do if they experience negative feelings during the holidays?
1. Talk with a trusted other.
2. Breathe and be aware of negative self-talk.
3. Step back and reflect on your realistic and non-realistic expectations.
4. Smile and laugh at small joys.
5. Do a good deed for another.
6. Wait for another day...time helps and heals.