Life seems unfair. My friends and family members drink. They don't have a problem with alcohol.
Why am I different? There have been many years when I convinced myself that I did not have a drinking problem. Yet each time my drinking got out of control. All I have ever wanted to do is drink in moderation like others do.
Does this sound like you?
You are finally experiencing recovery and sobriety and holidays roll around which create temptation. Do you have days when you feel stronger in your new healthy life? Do you have a recovery plan?
As an addiction and recovery therapist I encourage those in recovery to "set themselves up for success during holidays." What is that for you?
1. Ask for help.
2. Have a safety plan.
3. Play out the tape in your mind.
4. Attend a meeting or support group.
5. Call a trusted other/sponsor.
6. Leave any tempting situations.
7. Pray and meditate.
8. Give yourself kudos for not drinking.
10. Avoid HALT; hungry, angry, lonely, tired.
11. Help someone less fortunate than yourself.
Recovery is possible!